Mitsubishi has been late to enter the car-based SUV segment. The new Endeavor eliminates that gap in Mitsubishi's product lineup. A combination of distinctive styling and a torquey engine should help the Endeavor stand out in a crowded marketplace.
* The 3.8L V-6 has plentiful torque at low & mid-RPM
* Acceleration at highway speeds is unimpressive, due to emphasis on low & midrange torque.
* Engine noise is subdued at highway speeds.
* V-6 is very smooth and vibration free.
* 4-speed automatic has wide ratios. A 5-speed automatic would improve engine response.
* Smooth shifts at full throttle and during normal driving
* Sequential manual shifting available via secondary floor mounted shift gate
* Silver painted trim dominates the center HVAC and audio system console. The effect resembles a garish boombox.
* Blue HVAC/audio console illumination is a nice touch.
* Integrated dash console LCD panel shows compass directions, temperature, and audio information.
* Overall effect of dark dash and contrasting silver trim gives the Endeavor interior an industrial look.
* Front leather seats are comfortable, but lack lateral support.
* Rear seats are comfortable, and offer acceptable legroom
* No 3rd row seats.
* Distinctive front fascia ensures that the Endeavor won't resemble other SUVs.
* Profile resembles Jeep Grand Cherokee
* Roof rack adds extra cargo capacity.
* No locking fuel filler door.
Ride & Handling
* All-independent suspension minimizes typical SUV 'head-toss' over bumps.
* Suspension tuning is relatively soft, which provides a comfortable ride, but has a negative effect on handling.
* High ground clearance does not encourage aggressive cornering. The Endeavor suspension is best suited for relaxed driving.
* Aggressive, unique styling
* Smooth ride
* Torquey engine
* Garish dashboard trim
* Ponderous handling
* Needs 5-speed automatic transmission
The Endeavor is a credible first effort from Mitsubishi in the car-based SUV segment. The Endeavor stands out with its distinctive styling and smooth ride. However, a 5-speed automatic transmission would make the Endeavor more competitive in this segment.